Developed by the Paleo Foundation, this certification ensures that food or beverage products have the required amount of carbohydrates and other ingredients. This means that there are no artificial colors, flavors, or synthetic ketones. Keto Certification for products is about real, natural food.
Keto Certification offered by the Paleo Foundation includes ingredients and foods that serve to mitigate the most well-known adverse effects of the Ketogenic Diet and increase its tolerability. According to the Paleo Foundation, individual tolerability of the ketogenic diet is the most important factor for diet acceptance and adherence. Therefore, improving palatability, availability, affordability, and convenience of compliant foods is crucial to preventing diet discontinuation.
Getting Keto Certified – Steps
Adhere to the Standards
According to the standards, meal and meal replacement products must not contain more than 10g net/effective carbohydrates per serving. For products that contain largely whole unprocessed ingredients or ingredients with reduced digestibility, a 12g net carbohydrate per serving is permissible for use of the Keto Certified label.
Snack Products must not contain more than 6g net/effective carbohydrates per serving. For products that contain largely whole unprocessed ingredients or ingredients with reduced digestibility, an 8g net carbohydrate per serving is permissible in Keto Certified Standards.
Condiments must not contain more than 6g net/effective carbohydrates per serving. For products that contain largely whole unprocessed ingredients or ingredients with reduced digestibility, an 8g net carbohydrate per serving is permissible for use of the Keto Certified label.
- Apply for keto certification.
- After your application, the Paleo Foundation will request ingredient statements from suppliers to ensure that the product complies with the Keto Certified Standards. This process takes an average of 6-8 weeks. In the event that a product cannot be certified, a refund in full will be issued to you.
- After the audit and the success of the process, an agreement will be drawn up and signed. The agreement outlines the approved use of the Paleo Foundation’s trademarked Keto Certified labels.
- After all the parties have signed the agreement, you will receive Keto Certified Logos and a Letter of Approval and Permissions granting you to display trademarked logos on Keto Certified product packaging, website, and marketing materials.
- With the keto-certified standards met and the keto certification process completed, your products will be listed on the Paleo Foundation and Keto Certified website. A Paleo Foundation representative will connect you with the Social Media team who will work with you to promote your products through social media and other marketing channels.
- You need to renew your license to maintain the status of your products. One to three months to the end of the license, an administrator will be in touch to keep you aware of this.
Many customers care for this labeling. Instead of looking at the nutrition table to know if the product is what they want, the certification tells them exactly that the product is for them.
It is important to renew the license as the status of the products needs to be constantly checked.