How To Get Into The Vitamin Shoppe
- Understand you client: Before you spend a lot of time and money creating a product, you should know if anyone will want to buy it. Learn more about Market Research
- Learn if it’s protectable: Know if you can defend your product against cheap copies if it gets knocked off. Learn more about Copyright and Patent your product
- Test your product: Make sure that there’s a demand for your product and the customer understands what you are selling when it’s on the shelf and nobody is there to explain it. Learn more about Product Testing
- Perfect your pitch: Before you speak to decision makers, know your numbers, know your retailer and know your logistics in and out. Learn more about Pitching Your Product
- Don’t do it alone: If you haven’t been successful in retail before, a secret of success is that you can’t do it alone. Having great sales staff, customer support and marketing partners can take you from zero to success faster than if you tried on your own. Learn more about Retail Partnerships
How To Get Into The Vitamin Shoppe
The Vitamin Shoppe (formerly Vitamin Shoppe Industries, Inc., stylized as theVitaminShoppe) is an American, New Jersey-based retailer of nutritional supplements. It also operated three stores in Canada under the name VitaPath from January 2013 until March 2016. The company provides approximately 7,000 different SKUs of supplements through its retail stores and over 17,000 different SKUs of supplements through its retail websites.
The Vitamin Shoppe’s retail stores and online sites carry a line of nutritional supplements with supplementary lines, such as Mytrition, Next Step, ProBio Care, plnt and the Bodytech brand of sports supplements. In addition to their own brands, the company carries third-party lines, including professional and specialized lines.
The Vitamin Shoppe started stocking its shelves with oral CBD soft gels this week and will start selling CBD drops by the end of the month. It’s one of the first major national retailers to sell CBD supplements since Congress legalized the cannabis derivative in December. The move flies in the face of guidance from the Food and Drug Administration that prohibits companies from adding CBD to dietary supplements until the agency has a chance to write new rules regulating its sale.
The retailer gives free professional advice to clients. According to the retailer, “The Vitamins Shoppe has full-time Naturopaths in-store, ready to provide you the right advice regarding conditions or products absolutely free of charge.”
Being a vendor may require some form of distinctiveness from other suppliers. Look at your products and see what you are offering differently. If not different, go back to the drawing board and see how you can rebrand or bring out a distinction. Distinctiveness can help you carve a niche for yourself in the marketplace.
This company has a reputation for quality products and customer-friendly prices and its procurement standards are quite high. To get your products noticed by this retailer, you need to get on the RangeMe platform as the buyers of the company use the platform to source new products. You can create a free profile to get started. The platform works by getting you connected to potential buyers who would see the range of products you have on your supply dash.
Also try pitching to a top official who can take interest in your products and get it tested by other persons in charge of procurement. As the supplements and health products offerings of this retailer are quite large, there is room for a lot of products to be supplied. If your products are quite popular in the local market, it will be easy for you to easily pitch to this retailer. You have to bring your product to top quality to help you with the pitch of the product.
BECOMING A THE VITAMIN SHOPPE SUPPLIER
- Create a product profile.
- Your product is matched with the right category buyer.
- Buyers review your products. Once your product has been reviewed you’ll received notification.
RANGEME’S MY BRAND SECTION
GETTING THE MOST FROM RANGEME
RangeMe’s strong suit is its ability to streamline how buyers are able to discover new products. Buyers generally select products that catch their attention and those products are the ones that excel in their branding, have quality packaging, and they keep their pricing competitively.
RangeMe puts all of the information Buyers are looking for in one centralized place. The first things that a buyer will be exposed to regarding your product will be your product photo, brand imagery, and the cost information. If buyers like what they see they can click onto your profiles, get more information, and can message you directly.
Get Noticed By Buyer
- Make your brand experience strong with a clean cover image and logo so the buyer can see how your brand will connect with their customers.
- Your product images must be clear, high resolution, and undistracted.
- Tell your brands story and share its mission.
- Connect all of your social media channels and show your imagery as well as activity.
Contact The Vitamin Shoppe
Do not trust any “list” of buyers.
Typically retail buyers change either companies or positions every few years. This strategy helps retailers know that their buyers are not taking “kick-backs” and are selecting the very best product for the very best position each time.
Buyers are typically held to a very rigorous standard of sell-through volume that they must hit and because of this they are risk averse. Your job as a supplier or vendor is to convince them that the buyers going into the stores not only know about what you’re selling but are actively seeking the product in the store currently.
Sometimes easier said than done, however you must get on The Vitamin Shoppe radar.
Call the The Vitamin Shoppe corporate phone number and ask for the names of the buyer and assistant buyers in your category.
Always leave voicemail with whomever the dispatch will connect you.
Use that information to connect with them on LinkedIn, RangeMe and any other professional social platform.
Ask your representative at your trade bureau to connect you to the The Vitamin Shoppe buyers as they will potentially have a better history.
Use advertising, public relations and marketing to make your brand known to The Vitamin Shoppe buyer through 3rd party websites & industry media sources.
Be everywhere that they look, the key is to position your brand as the obvious choice when The Vitamin Shoppe is looking to either refill a slot or create a new category.
Latch on to the news of the day and any trend that will make your product fill that niche whether that be Non-GMO or Vegan Leather for example.
Investing in your brand can only benefit your opportunities in the future. As being “top of mind” will have a ripple effect when you physically present your product at a The Vitamin Shoppe meeting or trade show in the future.
The Vitamin Shoppe typically got to their position by picking “winners” and know how to see through the fluff.
Focus on the numbers, know your bottom dollar during a negotiation and how fees and chargebacks may cut into your position.
Know that long term success may outweigh short term sales, however financing large purchase orders from The Vitamin Shoppe when the net result is negative is not sustainable.
Understand the playing field and the other brands that are in your space, what they are offering as promotion and pricing and how you can stand out against them.
By knowing that each buyer at The Vitamin Shoppe probably knows more than you do, take an active listening approach to sales and understand that no is a perfectly acceptable answer that may have saved you millions of dollars on the backend.
How to Submit a Product to The Vitamin Shoppe
There are several ways to get a product placed in The Vitamin Shoppe. However, most entrepreneurs only dream about getting their product distributed to major retailers, few actually do it. We have experienced a significant rise in interest since the show Shark Tank started airing on NBC. Mr. Checkout has had the pleasure of working with a few Shark Tank success stories such as KISStixx and 180 Party Cups which are now currently being distributed around the country to stores like Walmart, Target, Kroger, 7-Eleven and more.
If you envision your product would be a good fit for The Vitamin Shoppe, we have a few steps to help you get your product on their shelves.
Here are the 6 steps you need to take to have your product placed in The Vitamin Shoppe.
1. Start with the right questions.) Before you try distributing your product to The Vitamin Shoppe, you need to ask yourself a few basic questions. Do you need to build demand for your product, or is there already a demand for it? Do you know that The Vitamin Shoppe would be interested in selling your product? If you can strike a deal with The Vitamin Shoppe, can you handle the production volume? Do you want to sell directly to The Vitamin Shoppe, or do you want to license your product to a manufacturer that will handle distribution?
2. Be prepared to profit.) Does your product offer enough of a profit margin for The Vitamin Shoppe? Can you sell your product at a reasonable enough profit to cover the packaging, shipping, commissions, marketing and wholesale distribution? Check The Vitamin Shoppe guidelines for other fees that you will have to build into the cost of your product in order for you to be able to turn enough of a profit to make the effort worth your while. If you work with a discount retailer, they will try to strip your profits down to zero in order to keep their prices as low as possible.
The typical breakdown of margins are: If a products costs $1 to produce, that product will retail for $4. That product that retails for $4 will wholesale for $2 to distributors and stores that purchase direct. Retailers like The Vitamin Shoppe = may offer to pay $1.25 to the manufacturer if the product costs $1 to produce. That is the typical profit margin.
3. Determine if is the right store for your product.) The relationship between you and The Vitamin Shoppe starts with you browsing their store for competing products. If The Vitamin Shoppe already has a similar product, it is going to be very difficult to get your product picked up. Spend some time at your local The Vitamin Shoppe to see what kind of products they are selling, speak to the manager and see if he thinks your product will sell well in their store. Picture in which zone your product would best fit on the shelf and keep in mind that the most precious asset that these big box stores value are their shelf space. Keep this information in mind when you are preparing your presentation to Tetco.
If your company is minority or women owned, check The Vitamin Shoppe website and see if they offer specific opportunities for those designations.
4. Pitch your product to The Vitamin Shoppe. Decide whether it will be you or a representative to present your product to The Vitamin Shoppe. Your presentation depends heavily on your strengths as a businessperson as they will most likely ask financial questions and logistics questions.
It’s common for companies to hire a broker to pitch their product to The Vitamin Shoppe, as it will be more likely that your product will make it to the next stage if the individual pitching your product has industry knowledge or a personal relationship with Tetco. The percentage of commission verses, however generally a broker will take around 5% to represent your product too The Vitamin Shoppe.
We at Mr. Checkout have experience dealing with brokers and know that there are several retail brokers that have poor business practices that can potentially damage your brand. If you are seeking a legitimate The Vitamin Shoppe, please give us a call for a recommendation. It could save you a huge headache and a lot of money.
5. Complete the required The Vitamin Shoppe paperwork. Often The Vitamin Shoppe will have you go through an application process. However, before submitting the paperwork required by The Vitamin Shoppe, you should contact a buyer at The Vitamin Shoppe and let them know your intentions. Having a contact inside of the company will potentially move your application more smoothly through the process.
6. Anticipate the need for increased volume.) Having The Vitamin Shoppe agree to stock your product will most likely mean a significant increase in volume. You should be prepared to ramp up your production and informing your manufacturer of this opportunity.
Having production, logistics and distribution to sync is not only difficult, it requires a significant amount of time invested in customer relations. Also, The Vitamin Shoppe may have stipulations in the contract that may penalize you for delays in shipping and production. Have an attorney explain all contracts to you if you don’t understand the terms.
If you’re looking to sell your product to The Vitamin Shoppe, be sure to thoroughly assess the marketplace, carefully prepare for production growth, and take full advantage of resources available to help you grow your business.
(est. time 3 minutes)