How to Get into Ray’s Food Place
Ray’s Food Place features a full line of groceries with a variety of fresh-cut, high-quality meats, fresh produce, bulk foods, and many organic choices. A wide assortment of fresh-baked breads, muffins, and cakes are available in the bakery. In addition, ready-to-eat favorites can be found at Ray’s deli. Ray’s Food Place features a wide selection of local, regional, and international wines perfect for any occasion and a large selection of microbrews from the northwest. Ray’s Food Place prides itself in offering fresh products, great customer service, and friendly familiar faces.
On its procurement and vendor relations, the company states on its website that “Due to the diversity in the customer base amongst our different locations we are always looking for unique, healthy, or locally produced items. We review products for approval at our corporate office in Medford, Oregon. The process begins by filling out our Vendor Authorization Form which can be obtained by contacting us here. If you desire to set up a meeting with one of our category buyers please contact us using the email above of call 541-412-3099”
To enter into business with this retailer, you need a unique selling point. This means that your offers must be different from the commonplace. You must look for something that makes what you sell very different from several products that this retailer sells.
Ray’s Food Place competes in the market on three things: price, customer service, and topmost quality. To achieve price, the retailer must get the products at affordable prices from the suppliers. Customer service is with the company. The last part is topmost quality. This is also a point with the supplier. The retailer would sell what the supplier supplies. Thus, to maintain the standard, the products must be of topmost quality. All food items must have passed through several regulatory checks to ensure that they are fit for consumption.
To get your products noticed by this retailer, you need to send a mail to the stated address and get in touch. This retailer is looking to satisfy the several kinds of customers it has. Thus, you should be looking at supplying varieties.
The grocery market in the United States has gotten to the point where it has to be personalized. The sector is one that tries to connect with the individual customer. This means, the supermarkets try to address the needs and interests of individual customers. This is by offering local, international, and metropolitan products. The company’s stores offer natural and organic grocery products, such as organic produce products; bulk food and private label products; dry, frozen, and canned groceries; meat and seafood products; dairy products and dairy substitutes; prepared foods; bread and baked products; seafood; and beverages.
How to get your product into Ray’s Food Place
- Understand you client: Before you spend a lot of time and money creating a product, you should know if anyone will want to buy it. Learn more about Market Research
- Learn if it’s protectable: Know if you can defend your product against cheap copies if it gets knocked off. Learn more about Copyright and Patent your product
- Test your product: Make sure that there’s a demand for your product and the customer understands what you are selling when it’s on the shelf and nobody is there to explain it. Learn more about Product Testing
- Perfect your pitch: Before you speak to decision makers, know your numbers, know your retailer and know your logistics in and out. Learn more about Pitching Your Product
- Don’t do it alone: If you haven’t been successful in retail before, a secret of success is that you can’t do it alone. Having great sales staff, customer support and marketing partners can take you from zero to success faster than if you tried on your own. Learn more about Retail Partnerships
Contact Ray’s Food Place Buyer
Do not trust any “list” of buyers.
Typically retail buyers change either companies or positions every few years. This strategy helps retailers know that their buyers are not taking “kick-backs” and are selecting the very best product for the very best position each time.
Buyers are typically held to a very rigorous standard of sell-through volume that they must hit and because of this they are risk averse. Your job as a supplier or vendor is to convince them that the buyers going into the stores not only know about what you’re selling but are actively seeking the product in the store currently.
Sometimes easier said than done, however you must get on Ray’s Food Place radar.
Call the Ray’s Food Place corporate phone number and ask for the names of the buyer and assistant buyers in your category.
Always leave voicemail with whomever the dispatch will connect you.
Use that information to connect with them on LinkedIn, RangeMe and any other professional social platform.
Ask your representative at your trade bureau to connect you to the Ray’s Food Place buyers as they will potentially have a better history.
Use advertising, public relations and marketing to make your brand known to Ray’s Food Place buyer through 3rd party websites & industry media sources.
Be everywhere that they look, the key is to position your brand as the obvious choice when Ray’s Food Place is looking to either refill a slot or create a new category.
Latch on to the news of the day and any trend that will make your product fill that niche whether that be Non-GMO or Vegan Leather for example.
Investing in your brand can only benefit your opportunities in the future. As being “top of mind” will have a ripple effect when you physically present your product at a Ray’s Food Place buyers meeting or trade show in the future.
Ray’s Food Place buyers typically got to their position by picking “winners” and know how to see through the fluff.
Focus on the numbers, know your bottom dollar during a negotiation and how fees and chargebacks may cut into your position.
Know that long term success may outweigh short term sales, however financing large purchase orders from Ray’s Food Place when the net result is negative is not sustainable.
Understand the playing field and the other brands that are in your space, what they are offering as promotion and pricing and how you can stand out against them.
By knowing that each buyer at Ray’s Food Place probably knows more than you do, take an active listening approach to sales and understand that no is a perfectly acceptable answer that may have saved you millions of dollars on the backend.
How to Submit a Product to Ray’s Food Place
There are several ways to get a product placed in Ray’s Food Place. However, most entrepreneurs only dream about getting their product distributed to major retailers, few actually do it. We have experienced a significant rise in interest since the show Shark Tank started airing on NBC. Mr. Checkout has had the pleasure of working with a few Shark Tank success stories such as KISStixx and 180 Party Cups which are now currently being distributed around the country to stores like Walmart, Target, Kroger, 7-Eleven and more.
If you envision your product would be a good fit for Ray’s Food Place, we have a few steps to help you get your product on their shelves.
Here are the 6 steps you need to take to have your product placed in Ray’s Food Place.
1. Start with the right questions.) Before you try distributing your product to Ray’s Food Place, you need to ask yourself a few basic questions. Do you need to build demand for your product, or is there already a demand for it? Do you know that Ray’s Food Place would be interested in selling your product? If you can strike a deal with Ray’s Food Place can you handle the production volume? Do you want to sell directly to Ray’s Food Place, or do you want to license your product to a manufacturer that will handle Ray’s Food Place?
2. Be prepared to profit.) Does your product offer enough of a profit margin for Ray’s Food Place? Can you sell your product at a reasonable enough profit to cover the packaging, shipping, commissions, marketing and wholesale distribution? Check Ray’s Food Place guidelines for other fees that you will have to build into the cost of your product in order for you to be able to turn enough of a profit to make the effort worth your while. If you work with a discount retailer, they will try to strip your profits down to zero in order to keep their prices as low as possible.
The typical breakdown of margins are: If a products costs $1 to produce, that product will retail for $4. That product that retails for $4 will wholesale for $2 to distributors and stores that purchase direct. Big box retailers like Ray’s Food Place may offer to pay $1.25 to the manufacturer if the product costs $1 to produce. That is the typical profit margin.
3. Determine if Ray’s Food Place is the right store for your product.) The relationship between you and Ray’s Food Place starts with you browsing their store for competing products. If Ray’s Food Place already has a similar product, it is going to be very difficult to get your product picked up. Spend some time at your local Ray’s Food Place to see what kind of products they are selling, speak to the manager and see if he thinks your product will sell well in their store. Picture in which zone your product would best fit on the shelf and keep in mind that the most precious asset that these big box stores value are their shelf space. Keep this information in mind when you are preparing your presentation to Ray’s Food Place.
If your company is minority or women owned, check Ray’s Food Place and see if they offer specific opportunities for those designations.
4. Pitch your product to Ray’s Food Place) Decide whether it will be you or a representative to present your product to Ray’s Food Place. Your presentation depends heavily on your strengths as a businessperson as they will most likely ask financial questions and logistics questions.
It’s common for companies to hire a broker to pitch their product to Ray’s Food Place, as it will be more likely that your product will make it to the next stage if the individual pitching your product has industry knowledge or a personal relationship with Ray’s Food Place. The percentage of commission verses, however generally a broker will take around 5% to represent your product to Ray’s Food Place.
We at Mr. Checkout have experience dealing with brokers and know that there are several retail brokers that have poor business practices that can potentially damage your brand. If you are seeking a legitimate Ray’s Food Place broker, please give us a call for a recommendation. It could save you a huge headache and a lot of money.
5. Complete the required Ray’s Food Place paperwork.) Often Ray’s Food Place will have you go through an application process. However, before submitting the paperwork required by Ray’s Food Place, you should contact a buyer at Ray’s Food Place and let them know your intentions. Having a contact inside of the company will potentially move your application more smoothly through the process.
6. Anticipate the need for increased volume.) Having Ray’s Food Place agree to stock your product will most likely mean a significant increase in volume. You should be prepared to ramp up your production and informing your manufacturer of this opportunity.
Having production, logistics and distribution to sync is not only difficult, it requires a significant amount of time invested in customer relations. Also, Ray’s Food Place may have stipulations in the contract that may penalize you for delays in shipping and production. Have an attorney explain all contracts to you if you don’t understand the terms.
If you’re looking to sell your product to Ray’s Food Place, be sure to thoroughly assess the marketplace, carefully prepare for production growth, and take full advantage of resources available to help you grow your business.
(est. time 3 minutes)