How To Get Into De Cicco and Sons
This is a store that has also been serving the needs of its customers for quite some time with a nicely designed store and a whole range of food to enjoy. De Cicco and Sons is the food and grocery store that has really taken itself to the forefront through sheer hard work and consistency. The aesthetics alone is drawing the ever-busy people of Larchmont, New York, to the store as it gives a whole new perspective to a food and grocery store.
If anything adds to the value of a supermarket, it is the attention staff members pay to the customers. In sales, the customer is king. If the customer is treated badly, there may be bad business in the line. Thus, it is highly important that retailers see their customers as people to be patiently waited on. This, De Cicco and Sons puts in proper perspective. Customers are always giving good reviews about the store online on this issue. A customer noted on yelp.com that “Possibly the best grocery store ever. Clean, neat, plenty of parking, and nicely organized. It’s Larchmont, so the workers are remarkably pleasant and everyone is looking to help- it wouldn’t last here if they didn’t. Prices are higher than larger chain stores, but everything is much fresher, and skipping the tornado-like disasters in the Stop and Shops are well worth it. Awesome hot food section, food is delicious and fresh. Best of all- they have a craft beer bar upstairs overlooking the supermarket with tons of craft beers on tap with great prices on glasses and growlers. The place doesn’t even feel like a grocery store. A higher level of shopping brought to you by DeCicco & Sons.”
Variety is one essential thing that De Cicco and Sons Supermarket puts into focus. There is hardly an organic product that is not available at the store and the ease of getting products at the store is quite commendable. Their beer selection is awesome. It has been reputed to be the widest selection in the area. The sushi has already been a source of attraction to many people within and outside the area. Apart from the beverage selection, the selection of rare spices, flora collection, local products, meat products, and their pastries and delicatessen, they take large orders for events and dinners.
The supermarket business in the United States is one that tries to connect with the individual customer. This means, the supermarkets try to address the needs and interests of individual customers. This is by offering local, international, and metropolitan products. You can get spices, meat, wine, food, and so many other food products from this type of store.
On the local sourcing of food products, De Cicco and Sons Supermarket has been on the forefront of selling locally sourced food products and imported food items. Their wine, spice, and produce selection make them a leader in the retail and grocery business niche.
How to get your product into De Cicco and Sons
- Understand you client: Before you spend a lot of time and money creating a product, you should know if anyone will want to buy it. Learn more about Market Research
- Learn if it’s protectable: Know if you can defend your product against cheap copies if it gets knocked off. Learn more about Copyright and Patent your product
- Test your product: Make sure that there’s a demand for your product and the customer understands what you are selling when it’s on the shelf and nobody is there to explain it. Learn more about Product Testing
- Perfect your pitch: Before you speak to decision makers, know your numbers, know your retailer and know your logistics in and out. Learn more about Pitching Your Product
- Don’t do it alone: If you haven’t been successful in retail before, a secret of success is that you can’t do it alone. Having great sales staff, customer support and marketing partners can take you from zero to success faster than if you tried on your own. Learn more about Retail Partnerships
Contact De Cicco and Sons Buyer
Do not trust any “list” of buyers.
Typically retail buyers change either companies or positions every few years. This strategy helps retailers know that their buyers are not taking “kick-backs” and are selecting the very best product for the very best position each time.
Buyers are typically held to a very rigorous standard of sell-through volume that they must hit and because of this they are risk averse. Your job as a supplier or vendor is to convince them that the buyers going into the stores not only know about what you’re selling but are actively seeking the product in the store currently.
Sometimes easier said than done, however you must get on De Cicco and Sons radar.
Call the De Cicco and Sons corporate phone number and ask for the names of the buyer and assistant buyers in your category.
Always leave voicemail with whomever the dispatch will connect you.
Use that information to connect with them on LinkedIn, RangeMe and any other professional social platform.
Ask your representative at your trade bureau to connect you to the De Cicco and Sons buyers as they will potentially have a better history.
Use advertising, public relations and marketing to make your brand known to De Cicco and Sons buyer through 3rd party websites & industry media sources.
Be everywhere that they look, the key is to position your brand as the obvious choice when De Cicco and Sons is looking to either refill a slot or create a new category.
Latch on to the news of the day and any trend that will make your product fill that niche whether that be Non-GMO or Vegan Leather for example.
Investing in your brand can only benefit your opportunities in the future. As being “top of mind” will have a ripple effect when you physically present your product at a De Cicco and Sons buyers meeting or trade show in the future.
De Cicco and Sons buyers typically got to their position by picking “winners” and know how to see through the fluff.
Focus on the numbers, know your bottom dollar during a negotiation and how fees and chargebacks may cut into your position.
Know that long term success may outweigh short term sales, however financing large purchase orders from De Cicco and Sons when the net result is negative is not sustainable.
Understand the playing field and the other brands that are in your space, what they are offering as promotion and pricing and how you can stand out against them.
By knowing that each buyer at De Cicco and Sons probably knows more than you do, take an active listening approach to sales and understand that no is a perfectly acceptable answer that may have saved you millions of dollars on the backend.
How to Submit a Product to De Cicco and Sons
There are several ways to get a product placed in De Cicco and Sons. However, most entrepreneurs only dream about getting their product distributed to major retailers, few actually do it. We have experienced a significant rise in interest since the show Shark Tank started airing on NBC. Mr. Checkout has had the pleasure of working with a few Shark Tank success stories such as KISStixx and 180 Party Cups which are now currently being distributed around the country to stores like Walmart, Target, Kroger, 7-Eleven and more.
If you envision your product would be a good fit for De Cicco and Sons, we have a few steps to help you get your product on their shelves.
Here are the 6 steps you need to take to have your product placed in De Cicco and Sons.
1. Start with the right questions.) Before you try distributing your product to De Cicco and Sons, you need to ask yourself a few basic questions. Do you need to build demand for your product, or is there already a demand for it? Do you know that De Cicco and Sons would be interested in selling your product? If you can strike a deal with De Cicco and Sons, can you handle the production volume? Do you want to sell directly to De Cicco and Sons, or do you want to license your product to a manufacturer that will handle distribution?
2. Be prepared to profit.) Does your product offer enough of a profit margin for De Cicco and Sons? Can you sell your product at a reasonable enough profit to cover the packaging, shipping, commissions, marketing and wholesale distribution? Check De Cicco and Sons guidelines for other fees that you will have to build into the cost of your product in order for you to be able to turn enough of a profit to make the effort worth your while. If you work with a discount retailer, they will try to strip your profits down to zero in order to keep their prices as low as possible.
The typical breakdown of margins are: If a products costs $1 to produce, that product will retail for $4. That product that retails for $4 will wholesale for $2 to distributors and stores that purchase direct. Big box retailers like De Cicco and Sons may offer to pay $1.25 to the manufacturer if the product costs $1 to produce. That is the typical profit margin.
3. Determine if De Cicco and Sons is the right store for your product.) The relationship between you and De Cicco and Sons starts with you browsing their store for competing products. If De Cicco and Sons already has a similar product, it is going to be very difficult to get your product picked up. Spend some time at your local De Cicco and Sons to see what kind of products they are selling, speak to the manager and see if he thinks your product will sell well in their store. Picture in which zone your product would best fit on the shelf and keep in mind that the most precious asset that these big box stores value are their shelf space. Keep this information in mind when you are preparing your presentation to De Cicco and Sons.
If your company is minority or women owned, check De Cicco and Sons website and see if they offer specific opportunities for those designations.
4. Pitch your product to De Cicco and Sons.) Decide whether it will be you or a representative to present your product to De Cicco and Sons. Your presentation depends heavily on your strengths as a businessperson as they will most likely ask financial questions and logistics questions.
It’s common for companies to hire a broker to pitch their product to De Cicco and Sons, as it will be more likely that your product will make it to the next stage if the individual pitching your product has industry knowledge or a personal relationship with De Cicco and Sons. The percentage of commission verses, however generally a broker will take around 5% to represent your product to De Cicco and Sons.
We at Mr. Checkout have experience dealing with brokers and know that there are several retail brokers that have poor business practices that can potentially damage your brand. If you are seeking a legitimate De Cicco and Sons broker, please give us a call for a recommendation. It could save you a huge headache and a lot of money.
5. Complete the required De Cicco and Sons paperwork.) Often De Cicco and Sons will have you go through an application process. However, before submitting the paperwork required by De Cicco and Sons, you should contact a buyer at De Cicco and Sons and let them know your intentions. Having a contact inside of the company will potentially move your application more smoothly through the process.
6. Anticipate the need for increased volume.) Having De Cicco and Sons agree to stock your product will most likely mean a significant increase in volume. You should be prepared to ramp up your production and informing your manufacturer of this opportunity.
Having production, logistics and distribution to sync is not only difficult, it requires a significant amount of time invested in customer relations. Also, De Cicco and Sons may have stipulations in the contract that may penalize you for delays in shipping and production. Have an attorney explain all contracts to you if you don’t understand the terms.
If you’re looking to sell your product to De Cicco and Sons, be sure to thoroughly assess the marketplace, carefully prepare for production growth, and take full advantage of resources available to help you grow your business.
(est. time 3 minutes)