How To Get Into Cannata’s Family Market
Founded in 1939 by Fannie and Vincent Cannata, a newlywed couple, the Cannata store grew from a small grocery store to a big supermarket. Originally, the business can be traced back to the door to door delivery of Vincent Cannata before he got married. He was a grocery distributor to many retailers within the town and he had quite a customer base.
Fast forward to 2019, Cannata is a household name in Louisiana and it is known for its local, international, and metropolitan food items. People in and out of the state order its famous Almond Bavarian King Cake. Its speedy delivery is quite commendable and customers can be sure of getting their orders as soon as possible. One customer noted about the apple cake in yelp.com that: “Great cake! I live in Cali, I ordered a King Cake from Cannata’s and it arrived fresh and delicious. I ordered on a Monday, they shipped it on Tuesday, and it was at my door on Thursday, just as the 2-day shipping advertised. Great flavor, will be ordering again. And… cheaper than the rest! … They have made a returning customer in me!”
There are several customer reviews on the internet on the supermarket. It has been noted that the store is well organized and the sweet smell from the flower section is overwhelming.
The supermarket business in the United States is one that tries to connect with the individual customer. This means, the supermarkets try to address the needs and interests of individual customers. This is by offering local, international, and metropolitan products. You can get spices, meat, wine, food, and so many other food products from this type of store.
Variety is one essential thing that Cannata puts into focus. There is hardly an organic product that is not available at the store and the ease of getting products at the store is quite commendable. Their beer selection is awesome. It has been reputed to be the widest selection in the area. The sushi has already been a source of attraction to many people within and outside the area. Apart from the beverage selection, the selection of rare spices, flora collection, local products, meat products, and their pastries and delicatessen, they take large orders for events and dinners.
For a distributor, this is an established store that can get your products to move as fast as possible. With the awesome varieties they offer and the established customer base, it can be easily deduced that there are customers already dedicated to what they sell. However, this is a big retailer and there is a high standard for the products they take and thus, it may not be that easy to push your products in there. This is why networking can be very useful.
On the local sourcing of food products, Cannata Family Market has been on the forefront of selling locally sourced food products and this has given their customers a sense of connection to the products.
How to get your product into Cannata’s Family Market
- Understand you client: Before you spend a lot of time and money creating a product, you should know if anyone will want to buy it. Learn more about Market Research
- Learn if it’s protectable: Know if you can defend your product against cheap copies if it gets knocked off. Learn more about Copyright and Patent your product
- Test your product: Make sure that there’s a demand for your product and the customer understands what you are selling when it’s on the shelf and nobody is there to explain it. Learn more about Product Testing
- Perfect your pitch: Before you speak to decision makers, know your numbers, know your retailer and know your logistics in and out. Learn more about Pitching Your Product
- Don’t do it alone: If you haven’t been successful in retail before, a secret of success is that you can’t do it alone. Having great sales staff, customer support and marketing partners can take you from zero to success faster than if you tried on your own. Learn more about Retail Partnerships
Contact Cannata’s Family Market Buyer
Do not trust any “list” of buyers.
Typically retail buyers change either companies or positions every few years. This strategy helps retailers know that their buyers are not taking “kick-backs” and are selecting the very best product for the very best position each time.
Buyers are typically held to a very rigorous standard of sell-through volume that they must hit and because of this they are risk averse. Your job as a supplier or vendor is to convince them that the buyers going into the stores not only know about what you’re selling but are actively seeking the product in the store currently.
Sometimes easier said than done, however you must get on Cannata’s Family Market radar.
Call the Cannata’s Family Market corporate phone number and ask for the names of the buyer and assistant buyers in your category.
Always leave voicemail with whomever the dispatch will connect you.
Use that information to connect with them on LinkedIn, RangeMe and any other professional social platform.
Ask your representative at your trade bureau to connect you to the Cannata’s Family Market buyers as they will potentially have a better history.
Use advertising, public relations and marketing to make your brand known to Cannata’s Family Market buyer through 3rd party websites & industry media sources.
Be everywhere that they look, the key is to position your brand as the obvious choice when Cannata’s Family Market is looking to either refill a slot or create a new category.
Latch on to the news of the day and any trend that will make your product fill that niche whether that be Non-GMO or Vegan Leather for example.
Investing in your brand can only benefit your opportunities in the future. As being “top of mind” will have a ripple effect when you physically present your product at a Cannata’s Family Market buyers meeting or trade show in the future.
Cannata’s Family Market buyers typically got to their position by picking “winners” and know how to see through the fluff.
Focus on the numbers, know your bottom dollar during a negotiation and how fees and chargebacks may cut into your position.
Know that long term success may outweigh short term sales, however financing large purchase orders from Cannata’s Family Market when the net result is negative is not sustainable.
Understand the playing field and the other brands that are in your space, what they are offering as promotion and pricing and how you can stand out against them.
By knowing that each buyer at Cannata’s Family Market probably knows more than you do, take an active listening approach to sales and understand that no is a perfectly acceptable answer that may have saved you millions of dollars on the backend.
How to Submit a Product to Cannata’s Family Market
There are several ways to get a product placed in Cannata’s Family Market. However, most entrepreneurs only dream about getting their product distributed to major retailers, few actually do it. We have experienced a significant rise in interest since the show Shark Tank started airing on NBC. Mr. Checkout has had the pleasure of working with a few Shark Tank success stories such as KISStixx and 180 Party Cups which are now currently being distributed around the country to stores like Walmart, Target, Kroger, 7-Eleven and more.
If you envision your product would be a good fit for Cannata’s Family Market, we have a few steps to help you get your product on their shelves.
Here are the 6 steps you need to take to have your product placed in Cannata’s Family Market.
1. Start with the right questions.) Before you try distributing your product to Cannata’s Family Market, you need to ask yourself a few basic questions. Do you need to build demand for your product, or is there already a demand for it? Do you know that Cannata’s Family Market would be interested in selling your product? If you can strike a deal with Cannata’s Family Market, can you handle the production volume? Do you want to sell directly to Cannata’s Family Market, or do you want to license your product to a manufacturer that will handle distribution?
2. Be prepared to profit.) Does your product offer enough of a profit margin for Cannata’s Family Market? Can you sell your product at a reasonable enough profit to cover the packaging, shipping, commissions, marketing and wholesale distribution? Check Cannata’s Family Market guidelines for other fees that you will have to build into the cost of your product in order for you to be able to turn enough of a profit to make the effort worth your while. If you work with a discount retailer, they will try to strip your profits down to zero in order to keep their prices as low as possible.
The typical breakdown of margins are: If a products costs $1 to produce, that product will retail for $4. That product that retails for $4 will wholesale for $2 to distributors and stores that purchase direct. Big box retailers like Cannata’s Family Market may offer to pay $1.25 to the manufacturer if the product costs $1 to produce. That is the typical profit margin.
3. Determine if Cannata’s Family Market is the right store for your product.) The relationship between you and Cannata’s Family Market starts with you browsing their store for competing products. If Cannata’s Family Market already has a similar product, it is going to be very difficult to get your product picked up. Spend some time at your local Cannata’s Family Market to see what kind of products they are selling, speak to the manager and see if he thinks your product will sell well in their store. Picture in which zone your product would best fit on the shelf and keep in mind that the most precious asset that these big box stores value are their shelf space. Keep this information in mind when you are preparing your presentation to Cannata’s Family Market.
If your company is minority or women owned, check Cannata’s Family Market website and see if they offer specific opportunities for those designations.
4. Pitch your product to Cannata’s Family Market.) Decide whether it will be you or a representative to present your product to Cannata’s Family Market. Your presentation depends heavily on your strengths as a businessperson as they will most likely ask financial questions and logistics questions.
It’s common for companies to hire a broker to pitch their product to Cannata’s Family Market, as it will be more likely that your product will make it to the next stage if the individual pitching your product has industry knowledge or a personal relationship with Cannata’s Family Market. The percentage of commission verses, however generally a broker will take around 5% to represent your product to Cannata’s Family Market.
We at Mr. Checkout have experience dealing with brokers and know that there are several retail brokers that have poor business practices that can potentially damage your brand. If you are seeking a legitimate Cannata’s Family Market broker, please give us a call for a recommendation. It could save you a huge headache and a lot of money.
5. Complete the required Cannata’s Family Market paperwork.) Often Cannata’s Family Market will have you go through an application process. However, before submitting the paperwork required by Cannata’s Family Market, you should contact a buyer at Cannata’s Family Market and let them know your intentions. Having a contact inside of the company will potentially move your application more smoothly through the process.
6. Anticipate the need for increased volume.) Having Cannata’s Family Market agree to stock your product will most likely mean a significant increase in volume. You should be prepared to ramp up your production and informing your manufacturer of this opportunity.
Having production, logistics and distribution to sync is not only difficult, it requires a significant amount of time invested in customer relations. Also, Cannata’s Family Market may have stipulations in the contract that may penalize you for delays in shipping and production. Have an attorney explain all contracts to you if you don’t understand the terms.
If you’re looking to sell your product to Cannata’s Family Market, be sure to thoroughly assess the marketplace, carefully prepare for production growth, and take full advantage of resources available to help you grow your business.
(est. time 3 minutes)