Things to Keep in Mind When Developing Your Mobile Site
Things to Keep in Mind When Developing Your Mobile Site
By now you’ve probably noticed that mobile browsing is the next big thing, and in fact even now mobile computing is of the most popular ways to access the internet. This means that every business owner at some point needs to have a site that is mobile-friendly and optimized accordingly. It may seem like a mammoth task, but if you keep a few things in mind as you’re developing your ideas, you can make the entire process a lot easier.
1. Simple Is Beautiful. Where so many mobile sites fail is in trying to do too much in too small a space. When optimizing your site for smaller screens, the less busy, the better. In general, stripping down your current site to its most essential components is the way forward. so keep it simple and beautiful.
2. Aim for Responsive. Just like computer screens, not all mobile screens are created equal. They come in different shapes and sizes, and your mobile site needs to account for that. A responsive design will let the site modify itself accordingly, looking the best it possibly can for each individual visitor.
3. Prioritize. With mobile sites, it’s more important than ever to make sure that your most valuable information gets seen. In terms of optimal placement, this means that whatever’s most essential needs to be as close to the top left corner as possible.
4. Emphasize Local. Nearly all mobile users have used their devices at one time or another to search for local information. If your site has information for people in your local area, make sure it is easy to find and readily accessible by your visitors.
5. Make Navigation Easy. One of the most frustrating things that mobile users complain about is site navigation that’s difficult to use. Tiny buttons or even tinier text links can be a nightmare for visitors who are browsing your site via touch screens. Make the mobile version of your site finger-friendly, so that users are more inclined to return multiple times.
6. SEO Is Still Important. Just because your mobile site is simpler doesn’t mean it doesn’t require good SEO. Search is just as important with mobile, so don’t skimp when it comes to strategy. Make sure your site is easy to find and ranks as highly as it possibly can. Do you have a mobile version of your web site yet? How well does it perform?
Peg McDermott is an award-winning marketing communications expert, Internet marketing specialist, and public speaker. Peg is the founder and president of COGO Interactive, an innovative Internet Marketing firm specializing in helping small to mid-sized businesses increase revenue and awareness by leveraging Social Media Marketing and Search Engine Optimization. She can be found on thecogoblog.com.
Why These Are The 5 Best Mobile Marketing Companies
By Chris Carol
Black Friday always excites retailers, but this year Black Friday and the new Cyber Monday brought a new wave of purchasing never before seen. Purchases using mobile phones skyrocketed 310% this year! The new trend of marketing and purchasing from mobile phones has taken the market by storm and there are several companies making huge strides in developing advertising and applications for the mobile world. When mobile marketing first began, it focused solely on SMS or text messaging. Many consumers and companies alike felt the texts were spam, and unwanted. Since then cell phone technology has improved exponentially and mobile applications are the wave of the future.
MobileStorm is a leader in the mobile marketing industry. The company has been around since email marketing began (about eleven years ago) and has fared well amongst their competitors. MobileStorm provides a hosted mobile and email platform for companies eager to expand their advertising market. MobileStorm offers world class technological support and guarantees a nice return on investment. Although email marketing is a huge part of MobileStorm, they also provide:
* SMS Messaging
* Voice Messaging
* RSS, and
* Video and Fax Broadcasting.
The best part of MobileStorm is that they recognize that all companies are not in the position to pay for large scale marketing efforts and therefore provide two different options. The MobileStorm Go system is ideal for businesses simply looking to reach their audiences quickly and cheaply, while the MobileStorm Pro focuses on larger marketing strategies, integration, and brand protection. While MobileStorm may to be the largest mobile marketing company, it does have some pretty reputable clients like Nascar, Hard Rock Cafe, American Idol, and Ashley Furniture Home Stores.
Millennial Media is one of the largest of all mobile marketers and has been in the business since 2006. According to Nielson research studies, Millennial Media reaches 80% of the mobile web and has several hundred different advertisers on the network every month. Millennial Media boasts entertainment powerhouse clients such as Time Warner, MTV, Disney, and Fox. As one of the largest of the independent mobile marketing companies, Millennial Media exceeded $9 Billion in advertising requests in 2010. Millennial Media sets itself apart from other mobile marketers by focusing on creativity, first-to-market solutions, and being the only company to offer specific and scalable audiences.
Jumptap, another major player in the mobile marketing game, is unique because it focuses on letting the consumer control the advertising. Jumptap finds that customer control leads to better targeting, more relevant ads, and high click through and conversion rates. In September 2010 Jumptap added video, making it the only company to offer all mobile solutions in one single platform, including:
* Rich Media
* Video, and
* In- app Advertising.
Mobile Marketing Companies Often Do Much More Than That As Well
Jumptap stays competitive by developing innovative IP ( intellectual property) protection on many of their solutions. Jumptap has received over five United States patents on their developments in the past year and will surely remain a force to be reckoned with among the competition. Recently, Jumptap partnered with Cyber Communications, Inc. (CCI). As Japan’s leading media representative company, CCI will be the only partner in Japan offering Jumptap advertising technology. CCI is owned by Japan’s Dentsu, Inc., and plans to invest heavily in Jumptap. Jumptap is aware that mobile apps are making it possible to reach targeted audiences more effectively, and have initiated their Passport to Freedom initiative orchestrated to provide increased revenue possibilities for the mobile app developers. As mobile applications become more prevalent, it will become increasingly difficult for the developers to compete with large companies’ substantial developing budgets.
It should come as no surprise that Google has a foothold in the mobile marketing game. Google’s Admob was started in 2006 by a developer looking to remove the roadblocks to engaging users. Now, Admob has become one of the largest players in mobile marketing by investing in cutting edge technology and snatching up the most talented developers. With Google’s notoriety, it is understandable why companies like Ford, Paramount Pictures, and P&G have used their marketing tools. Admob provides business models for companies looking to monetize and serves over a billion ads per month! Compared to MobileStorm’s 3 billion ads total, you can see why Admob is the ultimate front runner in this race. Admob also provides monthly mobile metrics reports that allow clients and partners to recognize the trends in the market and strategize about their advertising accordingly. Like MobileStorm, Google’s Admob allows companies with varying advertising budgets the ability to reach consumers worldwide.
Never to be outdone by Google, Microsoft also offers cutting edge technology making them a preferred choice by many companies looking for mobile solutions. Microsoft Advertising has enormous resources and outlets for their advertising campaigns and claims to reach over 688 million customers per month. The sheer size of Microsoft and Google insure their positions in the mobile marketing arena, but the smaller companies highlighted above may offer more personalized approaches and be better equipped to reach specialized niches of customers. The increase in mobile phone applications signals the developing trend for companies’ focus on reaching consumers wherever they are. Future advancements will focus on local advertising and tracking users’ interests. These techniques will make mobile advertising even more effective.
There is a growing trend to start reaching customers through their cell phones and you will start to see more mobile marketing companies.
There are examples of these companies at www.trendsinmobilemarketing.com/mobile-marketing-jobs/ [http://www.trendsinmobilemarketing.com/mobile-marketing-jobs/]. Agencies have the specialty to be able to give you high quality, and measurable results with your mobile marketing campaign. You may or may not decide to use a specific mobile agency as today more agencies have moved into this space. However, mobile agencies have been doing this for years and often will be your best value for promotion.